Tuesday, June 03, 2008

CWCO: Morning Prayers to Share, Day 5

Sarah at "Just Another Day of Catholic Pondering" has posted this week's Catholic Carnival, dedicated to Carnival hosting. Please check it out ... and consider whether you might be interested in hosting a Carnival, too!


Day 5: Lust and Gluttony

“Love is a mutual self-giving that ends in self-recovery.” Archbishop Fulton Sheen

“Catholics who acknowledge the wisdom of the late Holy Father’s Theology of the Body see an inescapable connection between the body and soul, the tangible and spiritual. This sacramental mindset is God’s gift to good writers, as it liberates us to express truly – yet not lasciviously – the ‘stuff’ of life.” (from “The Good Writer” presentation by Heidi Saxton at CWCO. To order the book, click here.)

Thought for the Day: How does my desire to consume – whatever bodily appetite these urges are meant to satisfy – need to be moderated? Do I have any inordinate attachments that prevent me from giving myself 100% in service to God and His Church, to my family, and to the world around me?

Hymn: “From Prayer That Asks” by Amy Carmichael
(to the tune “Faith of Our Fathers)

From prayer that asks that I may be sheltered from winds that beat on Thee
From faltering when I should aspire, from stumbling when I should climb higher.
From silken self, O Captain, free Thy soldier who would follow Thee!

From subtle love of softening things, from easy choices, weakenings.
Not thus are spirits fortified, not this way went the Crucified.
From all that dims Thy Calvary, O Lamb of God, deliver me!

Give me the love that leads the way, the faith that nothing can dismay,
The hope no disappointments tire, the passion that would burn like fire.
Let me not sink to be a clod. Make me Thy fuel, O Flame of God!

(“From Prayer that Asks” from the Collected Works of Amy Carmichael. All rights reserved.)

Please join me now in praying: Glory be to the Father…

No comments: