Thursday, August 16, 2007

God Across Cultures

Today at Catholic Exchange there was a great deal of heated rhetoric about a Dutch bishop who suggested that (within the context of Muslim/Christian dialogue) Christians use the word "Allah" when referring to God.

I majored in International Studies and Communications, and so this kind of thing fascinates me. Words are powerful, and one of the more challenging aspects of cross-cultural communications is the process of defining terms. We do this all the time when we "translate" Catholic truths in terms that are more accessible to Protestant ears.

In my latest post in "Streams of Mercy," I take a closer look at what the Church teaches about the commonalities of the monotheistic religions, and attempt to explain why (assuming his reasoning was anything like mine) the bishop's suggestion could have merit. I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this -- one way or the other.

No comments: